View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2005, 21:59   #16
pizzainthemorning

Send a message via MSN to pizzainthemorning
I’ve been trying to tell people “you don’t need much force to set it off” but I guess the video looks deceiving. So here’s some new footage, walking through at a very slow pace I actually did this with the same mine 4 times in a row, two times at a normal pace (once the video didn’t record), twice at a slow pace (once without powder because it was getting really dusty, but I filmed one with powder also anyway) just to prove it trips easily and is reliable.

Here’s a slow walk. Again, if you don’t have the proper plugin you may have to right click and “save target as”.

http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd2/...20%20Stalk.mov

There is very, very little resistance walking by, and if you were being shot at/not paying attention, or walking through a small bit of brush outdoors, BAM, you’d be toast. The mine is just sandwiched (but not actually held) by a vice so it doesn’t fall over and the other end of the wire is attached to a heavy box (please rest assured, I AM tripping the mine myself, there’s nobody off to the side yanking it). You can use obstacles, rope, tape, nails, or a combination of the above to secure a mine. For outdoors it can be as simple as digging a hole 3 inches deep with a knife to cover the bottom half of the mine.

To those who wish to see outdoor footage you’ll probably have to wait until the weekend since during the week I get home when it’s already dark. I'll get the other normal paced walking one up soon, though it's not much different. I have to go dust baby powder out of my house now…

Alex