View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2015, 14:47   #3
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe

Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsonic View Post
So yeah, my gun is the Ares Amoeba AM 008. I saw a big post talking about how guns other than CA and TM are no good and that made me worry that my purchase was a bad idea. How long will this gun last me?
The ares line is traditionally shit, BUT the amoeba line is actually pretty decent. In terms of how long it's going to last before it breaks; How long is your phone going to last before it starts crashing? Nobody can give you a solid answer. Something breaking is inevitable, but what's really important is the fact that you can fix it when it does. Truthfully, as long as you don't break the externals, the gun will last you until you sell it and buy a different gun.

Quote:
Also, do mid caps break easily or should I not worry about that (I'm not going to be doing anything extreme to my equipment, just worrying about wear and tear)?
Don't worry about it.

Quote:
Do full seal goggles break easily? I've already been shot in the goggle once and was immediately scared it would crack, those bb's make a hella loud noise on impact.
As stated above, just make sure your goggles are a minimum Z87.1+ impact rated by a liable company, and not some mystery Chinese company that just says "they're good for airsoft".

Quote:
Whats the difference between a plate carrier and tactical vest? Which should I go for?
Plate carriers are any sort of load bearing equipment that's designed to carry a SAPI plate. They can come with or without MOLLE, cummerbunds, or "soft armor" slots (where kevlar would normally go).
Tactical vests are generally fabric vests with integrated pouches, although some come covered in MOLLE so they can be customized. Typically the cheaper option, they usually really suck as load bearing equipment. Most common is the "crossdraw" vest. Major downside of the vests with pouches is they never have good pouches.
Chest rigs can also come with integrated pouches or MOLLE, but tend to be much more recent in terms of what pouches are on them (kydex shingle, taco, etc). For doing primarily indoor CQB and short outdoor games, the chest rig tends to come out on top.

Quote:
What are the absolute must-haves for a chest rig? I'm assuming mag pouches and a dump pouch are in that list, right?
Assuming you'll be buying a pre-built chest rig; 4 mag pouches, radio pouch, and a general purpose pouch.
Later on if you get a pistol you can get a molle belt and mount your pistol and mags on that.
If you start to play outdoors more, you can buy a hydration pack to wear as well.
Lots of people use dump pouches, but it's definitely not a necessity.

Quote:
I currently have gloves with no protective materials on them, theyre just gloves. After being shot in the hand several times I realized that I need to get better ones. What would you guys recommend? I have been shot in the joint on the pinky and middle finger and it hurts like a bitch so simple knuckles guards wouldn't suffice for me, it would have to be full finger protection.
I used lightly padded blackhawk gloves for a long time, tried mechanic impact gloves, now I've got outdoor research ironsight gloves. Honestly it becomes more important to have good dexterity than any protection. My experience has been that BB's NEVER hit the armored parts of the glove.

Quote:
I'm using the reflex sight with the 4 reticles and it changes from red to green dot colour, I'm certain you guys know what I'm talking about. Is that compatible with a flip-up scope? Also, my sight protector was shot twice in the corner and the corner broke off. The sight itself is not exposed at all but there is a crack running from the bottom corner up to the middle of the protector. Should I replace the protector asap or is it still usable?
They usually are, but it may not line up vertically with a flip-up magnifier. Playing indoors and outdoors within 150ft you shouldn't need zoom optics anyway.
Change the sight protector right away. Even the smallest of cracks completely nullify the ballistic protection of polycarbonate or plexiglass.
Also I know the protectors you're speaking of and they're crap. It will break every time it gets shot.
Find someone who makes them, or just buy a sheet of polycarbonate yourself and custom fit a cover for your optic. If you have a 2mm thick polycarbonate cover sitting right against the front of the optic, it'll be good up to 600fps or so.
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote