View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2014, 22:50   #25
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post
I really do appreciate the advice about the pistols. This is the one area that still has me asking more questions than are actually answered.

The APS ACP that I was lookin at was 90% looks and 10% the odd new mag set up. The only reviews I have found on it were people who just bought it or retailers, so not helpful.
A cursory search on the APS ACP indicates that APS is entering into new territory.. the ACP is it's first real go at pistols. I dunno about you, but first run anything i tend to avoid, especially with a "APS" reputation for some of it's long-gun offerings that i've read/heard about.. I'd stick to tried and true. Preferably based upon a TM design. KJW generally makes largely TM parts compatible guns (afaik) .. KWA sometimes does it's own thing, for example.

I was actually looking at the 1911 due to funtion and fit. The one I did handle felt really good, loved the sites and performed well in my hands. Sadly it was green gas, if it was co2 I'd likely have bought it. The only other thing I wasn't big on was the hammer protection whatever its called at the back. Not a big issue, but it was the only thing I could find to complain about besides the green gas issue.
Not sure what the hang-up for co2 is about. I use propane. Hint - silicone oil + propane == a lot cheaper than green-gas cans! It's a little more unreliable in low temps.. but GBB powered anything generally runs into issues in low temps.. it all comes down to degrees. co2 may give you a more consistent velocity, with less venting.. but sometimes at a cost of added stress to the pot-metal gun frames and slides used to make a lot of these, resulting in a somewhat lower lifespan on average.

Unless you are going to be doing IPSC.. in my somewhat limited experience, I can't really see what the cost/performance benefit is in the average mid-grade hand gun, to go co2 over propane.

And the SHALLOW end is in the $1000 range?!? Oh shhh-ure.... I knew I missed the shallow end! Right now I'm closer to $2500 not counting the re-enacting gear that I am not avoiding very well... And that's the wholesale stuff!!
Welcome to the madness, Economic and otherwise.

I got into this into the midst of an extended health battle. A form of redneck physio, if you will - nothing is more boring than being on a stationary-bicycle for hours at a time or wrestling with a stretchy band.. that same health issue also kicked me off of motorcycling, which i'd been doing for 20+ years. I thought i'd be saving money switching up recreational activities. At least up to now, not a frickin' chance.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote