View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2014, 17:08   #23
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.fretz View Post

NOW you tell me there is a 24hr rule?! What the…!?!
Best time-sensitive insurance against impulse purchases.. in anything. Unless it is food, booze, broads, ciggy's, or doobage.. it can generally wait 24 hrs when it comes to discretionary purchases.

Quote:
I think it’s pretty funny that you think I have a disposable income. My good man I have a wife and kids! If there is any money that can be disposed of, it usually is!
You have my deepest sympathies... really. No larvae for me, fortunately. My ideal of family is 3 cats ranging the house, and going to sleep when i ain't here. The kibble and cat litter bill is a bit of a little b*tch, however. Works for me, in my middle age, anyway.

Get the kids involved, Hell.. get the wife involved. Airsoft is a team sport, after all.

Quote:
Jumping in with both feet isn’t an option anymore; I don’t think I can hold myself back for that long! And there is seriously a 24hr rule? And what’s this about a shallow end?! There is a shallow end to the airsofter’s pool?! Seriously?!
The shallow end is when you first start out - consider it a maximal $$ ceiling of sorts.. it's a purely theoretical figure, and varies from person to person - I'd consider the noob shallow-end to be around $1000.00 to be reasonably set up to try this thing out. The deep end can be as deep as 10's of thousands. Some have fallen into the fricken' Abyss, with a long airsoft involvement and with more guns hanging on the wall than that which equips the armed forces of an average sized island nation..

Quote:
The biggest issue I’m facing is actually choices and options. Seriously I had been confused for a while. I have decided on the APS ACP pistol. It just looks “sexy!” But I am going to invoke the 24 hour rule when I first squeeze my hand on its rubberized grip and feel it’s… 24 hours! I need 24 hrs and several miles so I can’t “accidentally” walk over and buy it. I have decided on the MP5, but may go with the M4 as a first gun. I like everything I’ve heard about the MP5, but going with the M4 due strictly to the popularity and readily available parts and upgrades. Both seem like decent platforms, but the M4 is just too common not to start there.
APS brand name is by general consensus an abbreviation of 'A Piece of Shiite' .. Do some research on what are more established, better rated GBB pistol manufacturers.. i named two of the better mid-grade quality manufacturers already in an earlier post.

Quote:
Chest rigs and mag pouches were easy to find and decide on though. Difficult was convincing SWMBO that this can be used for duck hunting. LOL, should have seen me trying to say a Kevlar helmet was a “must have” for ducks! “Those geese and just plain dangerous hunny! I need the added protection!”
Get set up for WW2 airsoft and rock an M1 (American) or M1934 (German). Steel pot helmets have better resistance against cast-iron frying pans than kevlar.. your gonna need it if you get sucked into the deep end of airsoft, and VISA bills accidently get read by SHMBO..

Quote:
I’ve looked up and found countless boots, talked to a few people and am now settled on SWAT brand boots with the side zip. Since they can come with steel toes I easily said they were “work boots.” Buying ballistic goggles wasn’t open for debate. (Especially after I explained I needed my eyes to keep working properly so I could admire her radiant beauty for the rest of my life!)
I've heard reports those SWAT side-zippers are weak and bust out fairly easy.. something to consider. I just bought a set of surplus new 3-season CF issue boots about 8 years ago (back then originally for motorcycle use) for about $40.00 .. still going strong now, and very comfortable to me, broken-in.

Quote:
Next thing you know, you people are going to tell me I could buy her a camo outfit and let her play too!

*Thinking…*

“Hey hunny? Remember how you said if I bought one more gun you’d shoot me with it? I bet you’d look really sexy in MARPAT…”
I've seen lots of couples playing at fields - as well as father-son-daughter pairings. Why not? Even if things are on the Outs with SHMBO, you can still pay for a game and have her placed on OPFOR, and work things out from there.. certainly cheaper than Marital therapy. Just an idea there, anyway.

Last edited by HackD; March 12th, 2014 at 17:13..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote