View Single Post
Old October 7th, 2013, 19:11   #24
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Risk is something that should be managed by the individual.. choices = consequences

Minimum protection is ballistic shooting glasses. This is NOT effective protection, or complete protection.

This is what I wear when I am not a target, Hosting, or running games.

Any time I have been in a fight with this kind of protection, I felt a bit vulnerable, to the degree that it affected my tactical choices.

If you are rock climbing.. fitness, good shoes and chalk are "minimum" protection against falling... most people won't climb with out secondary protection, and new climbers should have secondary protection and full on belay until they know enough about the risks to make informed choices.

wearing "minimum protection" is what you do when you are skilled enough to mitigate the risks. I see a lot of new guys on the field wearing ballistic glasses.. and they have no idea that their eyes are at risk due to this choice. .. It takes an event like this one ( eye strike ) to bring into focus exactly what is at risk.

It's all about informed risk. Doctors do this all the time, when I went in for a CT scan they told me there was a risk that I could die I was informed and decided to continue with the procedure regardless (because of something else). Same as when my doctor told me the options for my surgery and the risks associated with each of them. Same with wearing safety gear when I'm riding my bike. Full face is great and all, I know the risks of dumping your bike and needing reconstructive jaw surgery or skin grafts or what have you but sometimes I'll just wear a "brain bucket" if I'm out for a short ride to the grocery store and back.

@ Brian; shoes and chalk are definitely the minimum. There's a guy who does free solo climbs of big walls (Alex Honold I think his name is), balls of fucking steel man. He realizes if he falls he's done and is fully aware of the risks but still chooses to free solo. I don't even lead climb (yet) it's all top roping, trad climbing is probably the most I'll ever do.
ಠ_ಠLess QQ more Pew Pew
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote