View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2013, 23:15   #13
Kuro_Neko

Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNozomi View Post
So, I have a few questions, I HAVE read a fair bit but a lot of threads seem to already assume you understand things... and I'd prefer to confirm before spending many hours and hundreds of dollars
Nothing wrong with that. While we're not fond of spoonfeeding people, the newbie tank is here specifically to answer newbie questions. And we frequently have the reverse happen, where some newbie posts: "so I just bought X gun, it's in the mail now, and I'm wondering if it's a good gun." Not the best idea.

Quote:
1. I only want to buy Tokyo Marui products, since they were nice enough to introduce me to the sport. is this feasible/advisable? I've heard mostly good things about them... is there any retailer in the GTA that carries them?
Tokyo Marui makes most of the popular models of guns and their internal reliability is legendary. *Nothing* beats TM for internal reliability. You leave a TM stock internally and it will last for literally decades. That said, due to Japanese laws TM guns have a lower muzzle velocity then most others, which will effect range and accuracy, and their externals are going to be almost entirely abs plastic, as apposed to their rivals' metal bodies, which will effect sturdiness. So in answer to your question, yes you could stick strictly to TM products if you wanted, but it might not be the best idea, depending on various factors. As to where to purchase them in any area, we're not allowed to comment on that outside of the age restricted areas of the forum. Get Age Verified and at the very least, you'll be able to find plenty of TM guns here in our Classifieds section.

Quote:
2. Although some people say it's difficult, I really want to dual wield pistols. Is it better to have two identical pistols, or a stronger one in your main hand and a faster one in the off hand, or something?
I would strongly advise against using a pistol, let alone two, as a primary first weapon, but If you really have your heart set on dual-wielding pistols, then I would suggest going with two of the same type. That way you don't have to mess around with different mags for each, you can just have one pool of mags that will fit both guns. But beyond the facts that pistols have shorter range, accuracy and fire rate then rifles, when dual-wielding try to think about how you plan to reload. You have a pistol in each hand, you're in a running firefight and you run out of ammo for one or probably both pistols, what do you do? Holster one, reload the other, then holster that one, unhoslter the first, reload that, then unholster the second? That's going to take way more time and coordination then you're going to have in the middle of a firefight. Also I don't know what your financial situation is, so this might not be a problem for you, but running even one pistol as a primary weapon can get very expensive, let alone two. If you're buying new, then the pistols will be $350 each minimum, possibly as much as $400, then mags will be about $50 each. You're going to need at least five mags for each gun, probably more, but lets go with five for now. So two guns at $350 and ten mags at $50 equals $1200. That's easily twice what a good rifle and mags will cost, for considerably less performance. A very good rifle will be ~$500-600 and mags cost about $7-10 each. A decent rifle could be gotten for as cheap as $300, depending on model.

While using a pistol against AEG's is doable, it takes alot of skill and experience. I would highly recommend against any newcomer to the sport trying this, as they would likely come away with a negative experience. For the newcomer, a pistol is good for emergency backup and the occasional pistols only battle, but little else.

Think about it: A pistol usually firing a couple of rounds a second at 320ish fps (less for TM pistols) from a six inch barrel, with a 25 round mag and iron sights. Versus a full auto AEG firing 10 to 30 rounds a second at 350-400 fps from a foot and a half barrel, with an 80 round mag, optics and a shoulder stock. Without a lot of skill on the side of the pistol wielder, who do you think will win the majority of the time?

Pistols do indeed rock, and I love my KJW 1911 to pieces. But I wouldn't use it in battle against an AEG unless my M4 was bone dry of ammo. And in that instance, I wouldn't have high hopes of winning. If you want to go light-weight in battle, think about a good subgun like a p90 or mp5k-pdw rather then pistols.

Quote:
3. Would it be weird/cumbersome/illegal to have a P90 as a backup weapon, maybe in a knapsack in case I run out of pistol ammo or need to change up? That's 3 weapons in total, most pictures I see are of people with just one AK47 or something.
Carrying three weapons, especially when two of them are pistols and one is a subgun is certainly doable. But in that case, most people would consider the P90 to be the primary weapon. And it really should be. The P90 is a great choice for a primary weapon, even if handling the mags takes alittle getting used to. Many games will restrict the amount of ammo you can carry. But if you're using real or low caps, that's almost never what will be limiting you, rather it'll be how many mags you can feasibly carry.

To clarify that alittle, airsoft magazines can have different capacities of ammo. A mag is considered a 'realcap' if it only holds as many bb's as the realsteel gun's magazine would carry bullets. Above that there are low, mid and high-caps, with low being around 70-90 rounds, mid around 120-160 and highcaps being 300 or more. Highcap mags are looked down upon by many players because they are noisy (since they rattle) and unrealistic. As another FYI, unless it's an extended mag, pistol mags are almost always 25 rounds. Some people choose to realcap their pistol mags by only loading as many bb's as that model of realsteel pistol would hold bullets.

Quote:
4. Do we need to wear the full military fatigues and balclavas, etc? I'm willing to splurge on it if it's the unofficial dress code but would feel silly if I was in the minority.
To start with, I can guarantee you won't be in the minority if you buy camo. Most airsofters are in this sport, as apposed to something like paintball, for the realism, which includes camo. Some groups will require it long term, but virtually all will allow a newbie to attend in civvies for the first few games. This is something you'll have to inquire further with whatever group you intend to play with. All you really need to start is the gun, a bag or two of ammo, good eye protection and decent footwear. Even a gun can frequently be borrowed/rented for the first game or two.

Quote:
5. If you get hit during a game, are you like, done for the day? Or do you just wait a certain amount of time and then restart (like lazer tag)? Mostly I'm worried about booking off a day and having elite players kill me in 30 seconds.
You won't spend most of your time on the sidelines. For the most part, your everyday game will be skirmishes. These won't last very long, like half an hour tops, usually less, so if you get hit early on, you're not done for the day, just that skirmish. If there's enough people and/or skill to have skirmishes run longer then that, then there will usually be some sort of medic or respawn system in place to allow you to get back in the game. We're all here to play after all.

Quote:
6. In general, is the community friendly and welcoming, or are people aggressive and nasty? Competitive spirit is expected but I'd prefer to avoid people who can't leave the aggression on the field.
Here on the forum, especially outside the newbie tank, you're going to run into the gambit of internet denizens, and laziness and stupidity will be roundly mocked and/or flamed. But on the field we have no time for that sort of thing. This is very much an honor based sport, since no one but you knows if you were really hit or not. Competitive spirit is good, but people who are aggressive and/or nasty will be asked to leave and not return. The worst you'll encounter on the field is a bit of elitism, where some players look down on others for stuff like civvies or hicaps. But even that will be kept to the minimum in most groups. Even if you're a newcomer, if you are having a legit problem with some of the others in the group, go to the group leader and if they're worth the title, it will be cleared up.

Quote:
7. Do I need to be on a "team" or can I just register and show up to a game? I don't know anyone at all involved in the sport. Do people help explain things to newbies?
Generally speaking, you just need to register and show up. There are teams out there, but for the most part attendance to games is fluid enough that trying to have set teams for every game day would be an effort in frustration. Scenario games are usually more strict about that sort of thing, but they're planned well in advance, and if you're interested in attending one, it'll usually be no trouble to get temporarily assigned to a team.

Quote:
Sorry for the list of questions... if these are wrong or annoying please just lock the thread. I'm just hoping to hear from people who are experienced and have useful thoughts. Thanks!
Don't sweat the questions. The newbie tank is here for such questions. And asking is better then sitting in ignorance. That said, reading is even better then asking questions. I would advise reading all the sticky'ed threads, especially the ones here in the Newbie Tank, they should explain most things. Reading older posts in the Newbie Tank should help as well. If after that you still have questions then feel free to ask and we'll do the best to answer.