View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2013, 20:53   #5
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNozomi View Post
So, I have a few questions, I HAVE read a fair bit but a lot of threads seem to already assume you understand things... and I'd prefer to confirm before spending many hours and hundreds of dollars

1. I only want to buy Tokyo Marui products, since they were nice enough to introduce me to the sport. is this feasible/advisable? I've heard mostly good things about them... is there any retailer in the GTA that carries them?
There are unofficial channels to get TM products - however, they were generally designed/setup for the Japanese home market - as such, they don't meet general Canadian import requirements without modification, so few (if any) retailers will carry them. Age verification is required to reveal any (if any) retailers that might carry them on this forum.

Quote:
2. Although some people say it's difficult, I really want to dual wield pistols. Is it better to have two identical pistols, or a stronger one in your main hand and a faster one in the off hand, or something?

For indoor CQB, whatever floats your boat. For outdoor events, somewhat less practical. You are better off going with a primary and a secondary (ie a P90 and a sidearm).

Quote:
3. Would it be weird/cumbersome/illegal to have a P90 as a backup weapon, maybe in a knapsack in case I run out of pistol ammo or need to change up? That's 3 weapons in total, most pictures I see are of people with just one AK47 or something.
The more you carry, the more weight that you have to bear. There is a practical limit. Outside of specific field restrictions on ammo limits, again it's generally whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
4. Do we need to wear the full military fatigues and balclavas, etc? I'm willing to splurge on it if it's the unofficial dress code but would feel silly if I was in the minority.
There are events (skirmish and milsim, both) that cover every range of taste in gear and setup. It's up to you to make sure that you meet specific game/milsim event requirements .. general guideline is that you meet the standards of the game, not the game accomodating your short-comings .. the more versatile setup that you have to equip yourself, the larger the variety of games that you can attend.

People generally will emulate an approximation of military gear/clothing as their budgets can afford.. Some will go "balls to the wall" better equipped than real military.. others will just show up in civvies. what works in the real world, has it's parallels in airsoft in terms of practical effectiveness. That aside .. you can always stuff a magazine or two of ammo into a pocket, and go with that for the first few games until you are SURE this sport is for you, and worthy of investing in. The more complex/involved the game/milsim, the tighter the clothing/gear requirements, specific to the game, and to the side that you are on.

Quote:
5. If you get hit during a game, are you like, done for the day? Or do you just wait a certain amount of time and then restart (like lazer tag)? Mostly I'm worried about booking off a day and having elite players kill me in 30 seconds.
Varying rules, for various games. "dead" is rarely dead for long. Respawns/time-outs are the general rule of thumb.

Quote:
6. In general, is the community friendly and welcoming, or are people aggressive and nasty? Competitive spirit is expected but I'd prefer to avoid people who can't leave the aggression on the field.
There are good apples, and bad apples. Some people can and will take the game too seriously. Other people will take themselves too seriously. If this happens .. find a different venue/game where the fun-factor is higher.

Quote:
7. Do I need to be on a "team" or can I just register and show up to a game? I don't know anyone at all involved in the sport. Do people help explain things to newbies?
Most games are noobie friendly. At the same time, don't expect people to totally hold noobie's hands through a game - they are there for their own enjoyment, after all. Again, depending on game/milsim/skirmish/event team requirements/sign up requirements can vary. Generally, "you can come as you are" and sign up for a side.. for skirmishes. Milsim events are generally tighter in terms of sign up requirements.

Quote:
Sorry for the list of questions... if these are wrong or annoying please just lock the thread. I'm just hoping to hear from people who are experienced and have useful thoughts. Thanks!
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote