I recommend this:
Amazon.com: Midland GXT1000VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) (Black/Silver): Car Electronics
Amazon.com: Midland AVPH3 Transparent Security Headsets with PTT/VOX - Pair: GPS & Navigation
$58--free shipping. $78 if you buy both.
1) There are 2. You loose one. (I have at my field) no biggie
2) no fucking around for hours with programming sub channels when you can be playing. (This is my personal pain in the ass as a host/field owner). Saying team 1 go to channel "x" and watching 5 guys drift off into some kind of 30 minute circle jerk to go to a god damn channel.
3) Durable as hell.
4) Cost effective as if you loose one you wont cry
5) If a buddy does not have a radio you have a spare
6) Battery life is LOOOONG.
7) More fancy earpieces are plug and play. $20 bucks for a set of the clear tube etc.
8) Includes car charger if you ever need. Again, battery lasts very long.
9) I have had clear as a bell conversations on these about a KM away through brush, rolling hills, woods etc.
Just my 2 sense. I know a lot of guys like the more complex stuff and if they are right into it and understand there gear--fine. Its just the guys who by this shit and try and call tech support when a game is starting that burns my ASS.