Sorry to get this started and not be able to be by the computer for awhile to contribute.
For the first time in 13 years we got a new application for Insurance for both paintball and Airsoft this year.
The following were the Airsoft rules
Air-Soft Rules and Regulations
1. Outdoor air-soft velocity not to exceed 350 ft/s which allows for a .20 to .22 BB (1 to 1.5 joule)
2. Indoor air-soft velocity not to exceed 285 to 300 ft/s. which allows for a .20 BB (1 joule)
3. Keeping in mind the velocity of no higher then 350 ft/s for outdoor and 300 ft/s for indoor, regulation goggles, including balaclava or full face masks must be worn at all times while in the gaming area.
4. Preference is for all players to use only facility approved and owned air-soft guns and pellets. In the event participants are allowed to use their own guns (clear plastic only, Air guns that are firearms for purposes of both the Firearms Act and the Criminal Code are prohibited) the facility must check all non owned air-soft guns to assure that they adhere to the velocity restrictions and are not rigged with larger springs, to obtain higher velocities. Only approved pellets supplied by the facility will be allowed.
5. Absolute Minimum age to play is 16 and any player 16 or 17 years of age must have a parent or legal guardian present. All players must present valid ID. Photo portion and Date of Birth required.
6. Waivers must be signed by all participants and if under 18 must also be signed by a parent or legal guardian. We must have written confirmation from the insured, that these rules and regulations will be part of their Air-Soft operation.
We were very concerned to see them be so outdated. Some what unsafe and certainly un-usable. We could not make a business work around this rules set.
I post this for a few reasons.
1 To look to network with other operators for solutions
2.to show how fragile our young sport/industry is
3. to help highlight the need for an |Industry association to help deal with things like this as the sport/industry grows.