View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2013, 13:14   #17
Send a message via MSN to Flatlander
Originally Posted by scottyfox View Post
If I may interject with a little real world that might be helpful (And I will refrain from quoting Charge of the Light Brigade, bonus points if you have any idea what I'm talking about).

The highest level of command simulated in MilSim is the operational level, obviously we don't get into the strategic, that's up to game control (the why and how of organizing forces that will be employed at the operational level, read Clausewitz).

The principles of command and leadership articulated in CAF doctine discourage "big picture" thinking at the squad level and actually discourage the "strategic corporal". The squad level's purvue is simply fire and movement, using those two concepts to achieve the commander's intent. While it may be fine to give the squad level context for why it will deliver an effect, the chain of command expressly forbids any sort of thinking of operational "whys" at the tactical level. It is the responsibility of the squad leader to deliver on the commander's intent without question and perhaps even without context.
TLR, sometimes at the tactical level, you are not given the big picture, nor should you necessarily be.

Now this is the way that a professional military is meant to work.

Unit discipline and a commander's competence are sometimes in question in airsoft. So obviously your mileage will vary.

But a great topic of discussion nonetheless.
I completely agree with you. When real lives are on the line, you want your chain of command to be tight and orders followed through with little deviation and reasoning. I would assume the grunts on the front lines are happy to make it home alive from their mission and don't give 2 shits about the big picture details.

However we are grown men playing dressup and shooting each other with toy guns. A bad decision or not following orders doesn't result in someone dying. The focus should be on having fun, not winning. I play together with some of the most experienced players and game hosts from Edmonton and Calgary and I think we'd all agree that being simply told to "go take that building" with no explanation and big picture really sucks (this was the norm at Irene). It might as well be skirmish and playing capture the flag; feels exactly the same for the grunts pulling the trigger.

I'm saying that if you can give the grunts at the squad level the information to allow them to make some of their own minor judgement calls, or at least let them rationalize WHY they are doing something, it helps feed the satisfaction of accomplishing something. Me and my guys in particular, we're all experienced players and are not satisfied with simply shooting other nerds. We've all had the feeling of taking objectives and racking up kill counts. The satisfaction now has to come from making our own decisions that affect the outcome of our day.

There are also countless times where the chain of command breaks down and information isn't passed down; subsequently you have many situations where props/actors are encountered and everyone looks at each other and says "what the hell do we do with these? What are they for? No time to radio our useless commander and wait 20mins for a terrible response, let's move on". Then you look back on the AAR and go "ahhhh, that's what that was all about. Well shit".

I agree that not all details should be devulged pre-game and that surprises in game are great. I'm just saying that the majority of people will go back to work Monday morning and be told what to do by their bosses and don't necessarily want to spend their weekend being told by some stranger what to do with no explanation as to why.

Another way to look at things is I work for an extremely large engineering firm (40,000+ employees world wide). They do employee surveys every year and then upper management delivers the findings for your specific country/region. There's a common theme of employee job satisfaction is tied directly into the company engagement...meaning we want to know what the company is doing and how we contribute and fit into the business plan. We want to feel important, not just a mindless drone behind a desk. I would say most company's would get similar results and I firmly believe this applies directly to airsoft.
Ronin 49 Team Member
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote