View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2005, 09:25   #59
A Total Bastard
Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Originally Posted by MadMorbius
Likewise, I don't tend to complain if my seemingly well-executed plan falls to pieces because someone on the other side devised and executed a counter-maneuver that I was unprepared for. Milsim teams playing with or in opposition to each other makes for a better (and evolving) milsim experience for those who enjoy it.
Getting owned by a well planned and executed strategy or counter strategy is always fun too. I think milsim is a lot of things to a lot of people but as Morb points out, it a mindset moreso than anything else. If the mindset is there the game usually morphs into something more military-like and compelling for those who wish to immerse or lose themselves in the fantasy of being an operator in a real situation (minus the pesky old death thing).

One problem that arises for me is when you mix milsimers with those who are clearly not milsimers, the non-milsimers tend to do things that break the fantasy - its not their fault necessarily, they aren't trying to participate in an immersive experience, they're there to have a bb fight, so thats where I think some of the differences occur during a gameplay that milsimers sometimes find frustrating. Take Meat's Vietnam era Ops. These operations are as much about (if not moreso) recreating the experience of being a solider in Vietnam, using airsoft guns is a way of making the experience more immersive and visceral, than it is about airsoft itself. Airsoft is secondary and subserviant to the illusion you're trying to foster! When wearing the right gear and submitting yourself to the mindset to the point where you speak think and talk the way you think it was like back then reenforces the quality of everyone elses experience.

I am not trying to piss on non-milsimers, its just when you have a clearly defined milsim game, its also a request for a mutual and consentual suspension of disbelief, like when we go to the movies. When that gets broken, milsimers tend to get testy.

The colollery to this is that those who are not in the milsim mindset and don't understand what a milsim is trying to do see a milsimer as being 'hardcore' or 'overbearing' (due to giving orders) or just plain not fun to play with because of it.

Another characteristic in milsimers is aggression. Often times I think this is the core of misunderstanding between Wolfpack members and other players in the community. We train for and encourage aggression, and for better or for worse sometimes we come off wrong at a game, and those who observe it who don't know the context get upset with us. Then back at the safe area, we're helping people fix guns, doing field repairs on gear (I don't know how many times I've seen Morb helping someone with a piece of kit, or Gump ripping down someone's AEG, or me fixing a battery problem). I've seen people get geniunely confused over this dualism. When we recruit, we not only looking at someone's overall presentation, but we look for people who are geniunely friendly and helpful and who want to make the game better. Actually skills and physique are at the bottom of the list. Skills can be taught, and physique is well - I am about 40lbs overweight, but I hold my own. If we starting picking our players on physicial condition, three quarters of the team would not qualify! Yes, mindset is the primary evaluation criteria.
LIKE us on Facebook!!