View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2005, 17:35   #141
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
Originally Posted by lt_poncho
I think most all players in the Quebec and Ontario areas agree that it's probably best if we all stay on the same 'level' and treat the sport and eachother as 'equal partnership'.
Sorry assume I am stupid and elaborate on this point, I don't quite understand what you mean. An association by its nature elects its own board and uses member consensus and majority vote to implement policy. I am not sure how this anything but level or equal. Currently its simply chaos, so I certainly am one for voting the current system out of office.
Warning... Groombug cynicism ahead.

From what I can tell, the associations out west are, as Poncho says, a loose cluster of smaller groups designed to facilitate ease of entry and a self-contained player base. Do they have a board of trustees? Like the old man in Monty Python's Holy Grail, I think it's an "anarcho-syndicalist commune".

An association as you defined would put a huge dent in the "equal partnership" idea because, intended or not, it will create a two-tiered caste system within the association. Those that are voted in as trustees will hold, whether they like it, want it, desire it, detest or not, an "elite" status. The other members remain, whether by desire or not, the "lowly peons". It's like political parties - they're all equal in that they all have constituencies... but when you get voted up to be party leader, you suddenly have a whole new set of responsibilities and privileges that put you above the rest, whether you like it or not.

I am not against an association. Depending on its infrastructure and its rules and other idiosyncracies, I would heartily support it. But I think we have to be very careful - we are not a political party where poor, defunct, corrupt, leadership can be neutralized quickly. Nor are the trustees, once "in office", have any deterrents preventing them from abusing the system. It's not a paid position and carries with it very little career-changing weight.

Again, this is just the cynic in me talking. I hope no offenses made. Issues of a debatable nature, let's take it to PMs instead of cluttering this thread up.
Contras A-06: F**k it, we'll do it live.

Groombug is offline   Reply With Quote