View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2012, 23:28   #34
Originally Posted by THe_Silencer View Post
I feel that most of your statement is wrong. More FPS doesn't mean a better/more accurate gun but it does MEAN SHIT, ESPECIALLY outdoors. There's very much an appreciable difference between an aeg shooting 250-300 FPS to one shooting 350+FPS. Namely that the BBs shot from the hotter shooting aeg will travel at a FASTER velocity. This may mean diddly squat to those elite airsofters with their sub 300 FPS aegs, but to other players, giving your opponent less time to react to your projectiles is a much appreciated advantage. Keep in mind that unlike a real firearm, you can totally see the projectiles coming at you and you can potentially dodge them.
So what your saying is.. upgrade the gun and not the player.

Having an accurate gun will only help up to a certain point. If the FPS is too low it will be very difficult to hit targets at longer distances since they're given ample time to react. Now I'm not advocating that all AEGs must shoot close to the field limit to be competitive, but many of the advocates of low FPS (low 300 or less) guns for outdoor use always leave the part out about how much noticeably slower the BBs will travel. Yes skill will certainly trump FPS but if you're running an sub 300 FPS AEG against an equally skilled opponent with a much hotter gun, you are at a DISADVANTAGE and will have less time to react. I know some players will disagree but this is based on my observations. Telling newbs that FPS makes no difference at all outdoors is detrimental to their playing experience once they find out that their opponents can matrix dodge most of their shots.

TL;DR: FPS is not the be all end all but it DOES MEAN SHIT, ESPECIALLY OUTDOORS.
Play with a stock gun first. A n00b playing with a hot gun will gain absolutely zero appreciation for the upgrades in the gun, and will be totally fucked if they ever have to play with a <350 AEG.

TONS of people play fine with stock TM and CA guns. You just need to learn to MOVE and PLAY properly.

Out of effective range? Get closer. Problem solved. If people are dodging your shots you're too far away. Doesn't matter if the gun is shooting 300 or 400.

You'll also notice most people who run hot guns shoot heavier ammo, dropping the FPS to the 300-350 range.. totally nullifying the "get the BB to the target faster" effect you describe. More muzzle energy means you can shoot heavier ammo more consistently, and thus increase your effective range that way. I don't know anyone who fields a 400 FPS gun using 0.20g BBs. And again I return to what I said earlier -if you're outside your effective range, move closer. Relying on FPS to be competitive is just a bad idea.

"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."

Last edited by kalnaren; February 12th, 2012 at 23:33..
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote