View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2012, 18:22   #35
Can't do math
As a backcountry camper I completely agree with this:

Originally Posted by Ozone06 View Post
It was a very different thing to then hump a kilometer and a half in pitch black conditions in the middle of muskoka.
If you go up to the Provincial Parks in the summer you will see people head off, looking like they just walked out of a MEC and break down by the end of the first day even with all the "high end" titanium "light weight" stuff they carry simply because they packed way too much, regardless if it was "light weight" gear.

I know they say something silly like ~40% of your body weight (all the weights will assume the average weight per NATO at 175lbs so 40% = 70lb) is what you can carry "maximum" but 30% (52lb) is considered the maximum ideal amount before risking serious injury to a adult body when under physical exertion.

US regulations (since they are easy to find online) specify a maximum weight (The fighting load includes bayonet, weapon, clothing, helmet, load bearing equipment and a reduced amount of ammunition.) to be 48lbs or 27% or so for a combat situation. Any more then that and combat effectiveness drops down through the floor.

Its not hard to reach 48 pounds when you start counting your clothes and the like, but its a good guideline to follow. And there is always ways to lower the weight your carrying to help your body's situation from physical and psychological fatigue.

Take from it what you wish, and not just for airsoft but in general. But all I can say is be careful, we all only have one body in our lives.

Last edited by Dimitri; January 18th, 2012 at 18:25..
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote