View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2012, 03:36   #15
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
Would you be able to speculate on what the necessary mechanism would be for this decision (if, as you say, not appealed) to actually go about changing the status of airsoft guns in Canada? Would it be other cases of litigation using this case as a precedent? Bills being written? etc?

I guess what I am asking is... Should the outcome of this case serve to embolden various participants in the airsoft ecosystem to push the envelope further and "bring on the heat" to test where the limits of the law lie now, or is that crazy talk? Since it sounds crazy to me, how does one get laws actually written/edited/removed without stirring up trouble or unwanted attention?
You are asking how the codified laws (statutes and regulations) can be changed based on court decisions.

Short answer is they don't. Court decisions are the court interpretation of the laws to a particular fact scenario. They basically give meaning to the statute. As stated by a previous poster, the case law will together with statutes and regulation form the body of law in Canada.

The statute would only change if parliament was really not happy with a court decision (ie different policy) or if the statute was unconstitutional.

A third option (and the only option for you) would be to contact your MP and see if they would proceed with a private members bill to change the firearms act to specifically exclude airsoft guns. Firearms are touchy subjects so it may be difficult to find someone willing to go to bat for you. Private members bills are also rarely passed.

Last edited by Fuzzy; January 15th, 2012 at 12:03..
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote