View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2011, 16:22   #25
durak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciekA View Post
Fair enough, though I will raise the question of velocities during import, during sale, during active use/transport/storage, and during other somewhat ambiguous times. A licensing scheme would at least legitimize ambiguous cases (see gearbox-open example below) and other common corner cases (trade of parts and free importation of parts).

I'm interested in resolving the following legal statuses and/or possible ambiguities, with documentation to back them up:

1) My G&P C8 with full metal receiver during import: ~430fps. Legal? yes

2) My G&P C8 with full metal receiver during sale: ~430fps. Legal? yes

3) My G&P C8 with full metal receiver during gaming/storage/transport: 360fps. Legal? unsure No

4) My G&P C8 with full metal receiver during gaming, discharge within city limits, unlicensed venue: 360fps. Legal? no

5) My G&P C8 with full metal receiver during gaming, discharge within city limits, licensed venue: 360fps. Legal? yes No, but discharge of the item is legal

6) My G&P C8 with full metal receiver during gaming, discharge at rural private venue locked far away from public, licensed venue: 360fps. Legal? unsure No, but discharge of the item is legal

7) My G&P C8 with full metal receiver during tech work, lying on desk while I have the gearbox open nearby. NIL fps. Legal? unsure, but #8 hints at maybe no No

8) My G&P C8 with full metal receiver in transit without a gearbox in a Canada Post box. Legal? no (refer to recent RCMP busts / chatter amongst local retailers)

I still think true legitimacy is different from the grey area we occupy right now, and true legitimacy would open up the market in ways that we don't observe at the moment, as has happened in the UK (with the right to import airsoft rifles and receivers from abroad, for example).

Quote:
Our laws are fucked up and convoluted. They deal with the importation and transfer of replicas, but not with possession. You can own and use them. You just can't import, buy or sell them.

It's more complicated than that of course, but that's the basics of it. Perhaps someone can explain the law in more detail than I can.
any airsoftgun that isnt clear or opaque or otherwise made to not be a replica is illegal to import, purchase or own unless you can prove you purchased it before DEC 1998, that being said its not enforced.

what makes the current all black (i wont use full metal because not all of them are) legal to import is that they are modified by the manufacturer to shoot over 407 fps. this makes them uncontrolled firearms, it puts them in the same category of pellet guns, which are not regulated by the government other than you have to be 18 or older to purchase one in most provinces. as soon as they are modified to shoot below 407 FPS they again become replica firearms which are a Prohibited item.
*edit* supporting documentation:

replica firearms: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...plique-eng.htm

Air guns: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...me_air-eng.htm

as I have already said, its mostly not enforced unless someone commits a crime. then you get into serious firearms charges. armed robbery and that sort of stuff.

Last edited by durak; December 15th, 2011 at 16:38..
durak is offline   Reply With Quote