Thread: Gear Help!
View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2011, 23:38   #13
Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
And lastly, I'm looking to get Magpul Pmag20's, and since they are the short type how well do they fit in the standard M4 magazine pouch? Do they fall below the opening? Do people put something on the bottom so they sit up higher past the opening of the pouch?
These are good questions..

I use the PMAG shorties and I love them. They're the expensive kind of PMAG, which is completely worth getting for several reasons (fitment, maintainability, durability, feeding, etc). I never really thought about whether they would sink into the pouch until you mentioned it. I throw them in my pouches without really thinking about it much.. I have most of my pouches set up with the flap "tucked in" so that you see the whole top of the mag. I don't have trouble taking them out or having them sink in too far. There's definitely nothing holding them up high aside from the tightness of the pouch itself. The less you skimp on pouches, the more likely they won't be loosey goosey..

Having said all of this, if you're at all concerned with the height issue, standard PMAGs are just fine, they feel and grip very good. I find they lend a "spacial balance" to the rifle as you're using it in battle. The shorties are loveable and have the cool factor, but they do make the ergonomics and muscle memory a bit odd if you're one of those guys (like me) who are often switching between positions for your left hand as the situation necessitates. Sometimes I grip the handguard, sometimes (if I have one) a vertical grip, and sometimes the corner of the handguard/magwell and the mag. I mention muscle memory cause I'm never looking to see what I'm doing with my hands, I'm just moving from memory or quickly touching the mag to find my position, and I find a standard PMAG always feels right in this aspect.

I'll also admit to occasionally planting the rifle on the mag when in prone position, even though Chris Costa says not to. But screw him, what's true for real firearms ain't true for airsoft... pressing a PMAG up against the hopup often *improves* feeding I've found...

Your mileage WILL vary.

With Ranger plates will they be high up enough to easily access? I saw these M14 pouches in a video, My Multicam/Tan Airsoft Loadout - YouTube ,(Skip to 2:40 ish) and they seem like they would do the job well, they appear to be a good size to have a large portion of the magazine sticking past the opening of the pouch to grip onto without the need of ranger plates or magpulls. But I do not know dimensions of the M14 magazine compared to M4 short type, maybe it will be too tight vertically or the pouch will be too wide.
I have no opinion on this, other than to say that if it was bad enough to go with other types of pouches I would have tried to do so now, or I would have dumped the shorties.

BTW, I've never found a good use for the ranger plates, since you can't put them on the non-business side of the mag. And I've never used them, but Magpulls *might* save you from a shorty descending. Not sure.

Also after writing all of this in sections I realize, yeah, it would have been better to put this all as one at the top, because now people who could have potentially answered my questions will not look at it again, advice taken Disco Dante :P But it was my first post in a forum, so I guess I'm entitled to a mistake or two, right? :P
Keep em coming. These are good questions. By the way, don't let this particular issue paralyze your purchasing decisions. The question of whether to go with PMAGs, shorty PMAGs, or some other mag altogether will probably actually have more to do with compatibility than anything else, in the end.. Make sure to check before buying.
MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote