View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2005, 17:10   #21
Originally Posted by zapplez
Originally Posted by rufus
Originally Posted by Agit-Prop
Originally Posted by mykill666
not one wanting to argue with everyone but im pretty sure its an m14.. had a Dragon - 12'' Black Hawk Down Sniper set. (pretty much a really cool looking GI Joe) and it said it was an m14 on the box... so im going with that.
Unless your doll (or doll maker) was actually in Mogadishu to witness it, I'll take the word of the encyclopedia link...
And I'm going to take the word of Mark Bowden and the inteviewed soldiers that were there
They probally refered to it as an m14 just because its simpler to say it that way. They are correct in a way, it is a m14 at its core, but the "sniper" classification is an m21, and the updated version with the new stock is called a m25. So no one is really wrong, and m25 is a type of m14.

But it's not totally unthinkable that it was an M14 being used (IRL); there are, to this day, M14s in Navy SEAL inventory, and probably in other SF inventories as well.

A National Match M14, or otherwise accurized rifle, would do nicely in the hands of a proficient marksman (keeping in mind, in this scenario, they're shooting man-sized targets at a few hundred meters).

And one last advantage the M14 would have in this case is they were originally capable of selective fire, whereas the M21/M25 were not.

So my original question still stands (and I doubt it can be answered).
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote