View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2010, 16:03   #1
A Total Bastard
Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Regina Airport Baggage Security Check

I thought this would be worth posting, as you may benefit from my little experiment.

I bought an AEG at Claybank 2010 from Plastic Soldier Airsoft (plug). Jihad offered to Canada Post it but I thought what better way than to test the flying theory everyone talks about but few seem to do or post a review about.

I was due to fly out of Regina on the 10:30am to Toronto. I have an M16A3, and I turned the box inside out and taped it all up secure. I went to check my baggage and they said the AEG box was oversized so I'd have to take it to oversized luggage. No problem.

I go to the counter and the bored checked baggage security officer runs the box through the x-ray machine and his eyes bugger out of his head. Great, I've got a guy who knows nothing about guns. Okay.

So he says, "uh sir, can you come over here?" I said "sure, whats the problem officer?", he says "this is a gun, do you have a license and paperwork for it?" and I asked him if he had any firearms identification training, to which he said no. So I asked for an officer who does. He comes back with 3 other guys who have no training and no firearms experience at all. We open the box and I explain the whole paintball cum airsoft story. They're still unsure. So I say well, ask the airline what their SOP is on a paintball gun and in the meantime if you're concerned find someone who knows something about firearms.

So a customs officer comes up. He sees it on the desk and first thing he says is "that looks real" whereupon I ask him if I can show him how its not real. He agrees. I show him the mag well and he can see the gearbox and says okay, "thats not a bolt". Then I open the dust cover and he says, "okay, thats definitely not a bolt either". The I show him the mag and the battery. At this point he's mildly amused. Apparently he is ex-military and he asks me what I am doing in Regina with this and I explain the game. He's nodding his head and says "actually that sounds pretty cool." At this point the Westjet supervisor comes over, doesn't give the gun a second look and says to me, "does it have a cylinder and is the cylinder charged?" I reply "there is no cylinder and no, there is no charged cylinder:. She looks at the 5 guys and says, "the airline has no problem with this, its in line with our SOPs on paintball guns". Buddy packed the AEG back up, making a mess of the box in the process, which was sort of upsetting but hey what can you do. I arrived in Toronto and got my AEG from oversized baggage and went on my way.

So, there is now at least 4 educated baggage security guys and a WestJet supervisor and a customs officer who now know what airsoft guns are at Regina Airport. And, anyone who says you can't take an AEG on a plane (check it mind you), is wrong. It can and is done. YMMV, and be prepared to supply explanations and be patient.
LIKE us on Facebook!!
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote