View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2010, 14:27   #20
Send a message via MSN to Munaro
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
1. Is the popularity of Airsoft growing or diminishing in general?

Growing. Increasingly rapidly, I'd say.

2. Is it more popular than paintball at the moment? It not, will it be more popular than paintball?

No, it remains obscure and unknown to the public at large. Or limited to exposure of clearcrap from Walmart and CT

3. Is the current Canadian Law & Regulation prohit the growth of Airosoft in a significant way? Would Canadian Airsoft popularity declines/contained because of the Law?

The law hasn't changed in 10+ years. Our ability to navigate it, and the arrival of Chinese and Taiwanese manufacturers who were willing to work with Canadians to make lines of guns which would be legal in Canada (something that would have never previously happened with Tokyo Marui, who never really acknowledged their customer base outside of Japan), and maybe a greater awareness/understanding on CBSA's part have contributed to the growth.

Heck even the Walmart and CT clearsofts, despite us hating them, have helped put airsoft into the mainstream with the public at large by having guns firing 6mm projectiles alongside paintball and airguns.

4. What's the demographic of Airsofters? Are most airsofters Asians as I was told?

I think whites and asians still make up the bulk of airsofters in Canada, but there's increasing numbers of members from other ethnic groups. But the costs involved with the hobby, especially in Canada, generally limits it to middle-working class and up demographics -- so your average player will usually be from that demographics range.

5. How's Airsoft popularity in Europe compare to North America?

Using "North America" is a bit of a trap when addressing airsoft: in the US there's a large volume of low price, low quality airsoft used by kids, and it generally seems frowned upon by many adults (maybe because of the greater availability of real firearms and/or a degree of machismo). Elsewhere in the world, including Canada, airsoft is probably more of an adult-oriented sport (maybe moreso in Europe where they have actual laws governing airsoft).

North America was late getting aboard though, so Asia and Europe has had more time developing player bases which may account for the greater popularity there (and Canada's laws which have historically greatly hindered growth; there were only a small handful of airsofters in Canada before 1998).

6. Since when Airsoft become a somewhat famous hobby?

In Canada or elsewhere? In Japan it's been around since the 80s (paintball was [probably still is] illegal there). In Canada I don't remember much growth til maybe 2003?

So do I win something? Do I get an A for your paper? What?
Id have to go with this post.

M4, L85, Mp5, Scar, Sig 552, M14
Munaro is offline   Reply With Quote