View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2010, 16:55   #50
shaharov
 
shaharov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Duncan, BC (just North of Victoria)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Shiney View Post
Regardless of what a governement agency says. An Airsoft Device IS NOT A REPLICA.

By definition in the Criminal Code of Canada:


Replica Firearm
“replica firearm” means any device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, a firearm, and that itself is not a firearm, but does not include any such device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, an antique firearm;

Imitation Firearm
“imitation firearm” means any thing that imitates a firearm, and includes a replica firearm;

Certain weapons deemed not to be firearms
(3) For the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act and the provisions of the Firearms Act, the following weapons are deemed not to be firearms:
(a) any antique firearm;
(b) any device that is
(i) designed exclusively for signalling, for notifying of distress, for firing blank cartridges or for firing stud cartridges, explosive-driven rivets or other industrial projectiles, and
(ii) intended by the person in possession of it to be used exclusively for the purpose for which it is designed;
(c) any shooting device that is
(i) designed exclusively for the slaughtering of domestic animals, the tranquillizing of animals or the discharging of projectiles with lines attached to them, and
(ii) intended by the person in possession of it to be used exclusively for the purpose for which it is designed; and
(d) any other barrelled weapon, where it is proved that the weapon is not designed or adapted to discharge
(i) a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 Joules, or

(ii) a shot, bullet or other projectile that is designed or adapted to attain a velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or an energy exceeding 5.7 Joules

This Section 3d would cover Airsoft Devices

We need to stop referring to our Airsoft Devices as replicas, as they are not replicas. At best they would be Imitation Firearms. A replica is unable to emit a projectile at all.
Think you missed the first paragraph and therefor are contradicting yourself

Quote:
Replica Firearm
“replica firearm” means any device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, a firearm, and that itself is not a firearm, but does not include any such device that is designed or intended to exactly resemble, or to resemble with near precision, an antique firearm;
and yes this
Quote:
Certain weapons deemed not to be firearms
(3) For the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act and the provisions of the Firearms Act, the following weapons are deemed not to be firearms:
(a) any antique firearm;
(b) any device that is
(i) designed exclusively for signalling, for notifying of distress, for firing blank cartridges or for firing stud cartridges, explosive-driven rivets or other industrial projectiles, and
(ii) intended by the person in possession of it to be used exclusively for the purpose for which it is designed;
(c) any shooting device that is
(i) designed exclusively for the slaughtering of domestic animals, the tranquillizing of animals or the discharging of projectiles with lines attached to them, and
(ii) intended by the person in possession of it to be used exclusively for the purpose for which it is designed; and
(d) any other barrelled weapon, where it is proved that the weapon is not designed or adapted to discharge
(i) a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 Joules, or
(ii) a shot, bullet or other projectile that is designed or adapted to attain a velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or an energy exceeding 5.7 Joules
states that a airsoft gun is not a firearm... and by the first definition
Quote:
and that itself is not a firearm
Therefor, an airsoft guns matches the desciption of a replica firearm due to it not being a firearm...

A firearm can not be a replica, and a replica can not be a firearm, the are mutually exclusive.

How hard is this to understand?

And even if it was an unregulated, unrestricted, unregistered firearm (which it's not) why would police seize them and customs seize them at the border... you can legally import a unregulated, unrestricted, unregistered firearm

Lastly you saying
Quote:
We need to stop referring to our Airsoft Devices as replicas, as they are not replicas. At best they would be Imitation Firearms. A replica is unable to emit a projectile at all.
is both erreant in 2 regards.. if you look at the above definition of an imitation it says it includes replicas and a replica by your highlighted text
Quote:
(d) any other barrelled weapon, where it is proved that the weapon is not designed or adapted to discharge
(i) a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 Joules, or
(ii) a shot, bullet or other projectile that is designed or adapted to attain a velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or an energy exceeding 5.7
Cant be adapted to shoot with muzzle velocity exceding 152.4mps (this is 500fps) or energy exceeding 5.7.
__________________
Friendly Fire...... ISN'T!!

Last edited by shaharov; April 29th, 2010 at 17:03..
shaharov is offline   Reply With Quote