View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:06   #23
Location: Waterloo, kitchener, guelph, mississauga, north east toronto
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
The internals are the same as an EyeClops so... that's probably pretty empty, yes. What gives it that huge frontal area are the IR LEDs, otherwise if you slim it down to the camera and screen, there's not much (considering the batteries are external).

Actually, I was considering putting the internals of an EyeClops (so the same as that) into a PVS-14 dummy. That wouldn't be really expensive (EyeClops can be found at ~40$ and the dummy at 32$ shipped). That wouldn't be a real NVG, but could still be some use and would be better than an empty dummy.

And... I wouldn't have the guts to try that with a real NVG, even if it's a 150$ Gen1^^
Originally Posted by Wolver!ne View Post
Well I got myself a set of these but I did something fun with them...I ripped them apart and modified them. Still the monocule cyclopes look but it is now housed in a waterproof Metal casing with 2 (1 removable, 1 fixed) Polycarbinate lense for damage protection. I also have modified the power supply to run a NiMH pack instead of AA's. Also I fooled around with the IR illuminators and made them on a seperate switch allowing me to turn them on or off so I don't stand out. I also changed the main focusing lense with a slightly convex lense to enhance the Depth Perception so now, with a little practice, I am able to manuver just as well with them on. All in all, cost me about an extra $100 plus some tinker time, but they are much better then what came with the Game. They have been field tested and work a hell of a lot better too. I get about 75 feet of sight with them. and yes they have been shot and droped and stepped on and still work

So if you have the time, the knowledge, and the patience then it is well worth doing. Great for airsoft gaming and recon.

I had Clueless pick up for me the Eyeclops V2 NV and plan on doing some mods (first off gutting the fugly casing of the actual electronics package). I had thought of doing something similar to what Conker planned with his (I'll have to PM him to see how successful he was).

Currently it is ziptied to an old pair of PB goggles I have floating around and it isnt horrible running on passive illumination but the 5 AAs add a tonne of weight.

Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Zeonprime is offline   Reply With Quote