View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2010, 14:36   #30
Originally Posted by mas_oyama View Post
he can't even write properly. I don't expect he will understand any physics rules... lol.

The thing I was wondering though, I just want to make sure I get the principle right:

Going for a heavier BB might actually increase its power, because since it stays in the barrel, being pushed on longer.

in other words, as you increase the weight, the speed lowers, but slower than the weight increase, while the power goes up slightly.

if you increase weight by 50%, the speed will decrease by only 40%, while power will raise by 10%. THOSE NUMBERS MAY BE WAY OFF, its just an example to see if I got the principle right. I guess this will depend on the barrel length... I guess with a 1 inch barrel, this will probably almost not apply, and if you have a 12 feet barrel, this would have a MAJOR impact, right?
I don't think this will be the case, given the same setup (spring, cylinder, barrel, etc). Theoretically, with perfect air seal, the air volume coming from the cylinder into the barrel is still the same. So the heavier BB will spend time in the barrel for just as long as the lighter BB. Kinetic Energy = 1/2 mass * velocity^2. With the same energy (Joule from gun) and an increase in BB mass simply yields less velocity (FPS). Subsequently, there's the change in grouping and range as well.