View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2009, 17:35   #374
Send a message via ICQ to Capt.erHead Send a message via MSN to Capt.erHead
Skimming through all these cranky old fart posts with postulations of what 'killed' airsoft (I admit I didn't have the patience to read every single post restating the same tired premise.) I believe most of you have missed the point.

I purchased my first airsoft gun in 1998, a TM M16A1. This gun was ALL plastic on the outside except for the trigger...the internals were flimsy and I went through 3 gear boxes in 2 years. The gun cost me $200 and was a steep price for a 16 year old. I remember working my a$$ off that summer to be able afford a WA 1911, a WA M11, a TM MP5K PDW and countless accessories/gear to fulfill my new found passion. I spent $1200 on airsoft that year and I was more than fully equipped.

Since then, on a trip to HK 2 years ago and from currently residing in the US, decent, higher quality (than my original M16 or WA GBBs) airsoft guns are CHEAPER than they were in 1998. Taking into consideration inflation from 11 years ago the price is cheaper still.

That brings me to two reasons why Airsoft is virtually dead in Canada, first Airsoft is a toy and children should be able to play with toys. A vast majority of us old farts started playing when we were children or at least near children. The community, scared of retaliation from the government and media, attempted to make their toys and their game an adult 'sport.' Thus marginalizing the new blood and dooming the 'elite' version of the game to die a slow death as players 'grew up' by selling off their toy guns to buy real ones or to raise families, etc.

Second, from greed and ever tightening border restrictions prices increased steadily until the present state in which a real steel AR can be purchased for less than that of a high quality airsoft toy.

To sum it all up, 'elite' airsoft died because of the sheer cost of the guns and by taking it away from those that would best propogate the sport the way in which we, the community, would have liked to see flourish.

Clearsoft merely filled in the vacuum that was created by marginalizing young players.

It's certainly been interesting to be part of a community and watch it quickly grow to its pinnacle and then watch it slowly die a drawn out death.

Last edited by Capt.erHead; August 21st, 2009 at 17:44..