View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:55   #346
Brian McIlmoyle
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
The idea of a course (especially a 4-hour course) is kindof over the top and totally unnecessary. Pretty much everyone who plays airsoft never had any kind of "course" and they play just fine. Many newbies who pick up a halfbreed come out and play and fit right in.

The issue is that, a year ago, for Joe Somebody to get an airsoft gun they had to jump through hoops, get AV'd (which meant if the AVer felt the dude was a schmuck he could refuse to verify), then order on the classifieds and wait anywhere from a few weeks to several months before they had an AEG. This had the effect of weeding out the very casual player that has no desire to participate properly.

Now, as someone mentioned it (I think it was Crunch) the AV status really means fuck all. Any dumbass can get an airsoft gun. This has result in more dumbasses with airsoft guns. Of course, we've said time and time before, Age Verifacation is only an ASC policy and isn't for policing airsoft.

What's needed is game players with the balls to report stuipidness and hosts with the balls to do something about it. If someone is being a fucktard, take them aside, explain things to them, and if they are still being a fucktard, kick them off the field. Post their names on ASC for public ridicule. They'll shape up pretty quick after that -and if they don't, they'll run out of places to play real quick. The airsoft community in Canada is still pleanty small enough to accomplish that.

Second, reinstate a minimum equipment requirement for games (I say "reinstate" because this used to be done but it seems noone does it anymore). You want to play a game? Show up with some BDU's and no n00b-caps. $250 will get you two sets of BDU's and a bunch of magazines (well.. usually ). "Oh but I can't afford it!" Tough shit. Airsoft is an expensive hobby. We stopped telling people the "set aside $1,000 to get into it" because every time we did a few people who managed to get good deals on stuff would come in and be like "No you can do it for less blablabla you don't need that much blablabla." Fuck that. Hobbies are expensive. EVERY hobby has a minimum level of equipment required -whether it be model building, Radio Control Planes/Cars/Boats/Tanks, Biking, whatever- why the hell should airsoft be any different?

Third, have "newbie days" where new and aspiring players can come out and talk to those of us who have been playing for a long time, where they can ask their questions. It's also where we can EXPLAIN all this shit to them and tell them that "Yes, this IS a hobby, and there ARE expected standards."

Honestly, we can't blame newbies and halfbreeds for all of this.. we've let our own standards drop considerably. A lot of shit that goes on now would never have been tolerated a few years ago.

Oh and one more thing: If playing with a black gun, proper BDU's, and a proper LBV make me an elitist, good. I didn't get into airsoft to run around in civies with a clear gun.
Excellent post, thank you,

in my opinion... some of the reasons we are dealing with issues regarding safety standards and behavior on the field is because people who are 3 months into the activity are Hosting games.. in some cases the "host" does not have a strong grip on standards .. and does not know how to address problems and tHey get out of hand.

There are 2 possible approaches here...

1.regulate the players and educate and enforce up front.. as some have said , force players to jump thhrough hoops to get in.

2.Regulate the hosts and make sure people who are hosting games are capable and willing to do everything necessary.

I have been at games where it was not clear who was the host.. where there was NO MENTION of safety or proper procedures. Where there was NOTHING DONE in cases of breach of safety.

This happened because the person hosting had no idea what was expected of them.. they just rolled over and decided to host a game.. thinking all that ment was posting a sign up list on ASC and showing up for some shooting fun.

I think it needs to be a field owner/ hosts perogative if they want to require people to pass an indoctrination to play on their field, or in their games.

But that being said I think that there should be an association of hosts that set in place common standards and best practices .. which could include the institution of some form of basic indoctrination.. that would be conducted at "new player days"

Its easy to go overboard here... because this is a polarizing issue .. on one side are the "its just a game .. who cares about standards.. it's not like its a real gun.. " people.. on the other there are the" we need to have hard to achieve standards and testing.. these things need to be treated exactly like real guns" people.

I tend more towards the more regulation.. and standards.. but this has to be tempered with the acknowledgement that there are all kinds of people who get involved in this activity. We don't want to become so rigid that only hard core militaryphiles can get through.. but we don't want to be so loose as to let total gits in either.

When I started TTAC3 I required new players to take my ATQ1 course.. it was waived for people with a season of AS under their belts and for anyone with a PAL and for anyone with military or police experience. I was running that course every month for a year the first year .. then it dropped to quarterly .. and now I don't do it often because TTAC3 has built a solid cadre of regulars that bring new people in by referral and see that they are prepped and ready before they get there.

I think I will start doing it more regularly again..

So really... maybe when I spoke of "national Standards" I think that we may have our best effect by regulating the hosts .. and making sure people that host are prepped and ready to do the whole job .. and not just the fun bits.
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite