View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2009, 15:53   #296
Super Moderator
Send a message via ICQ to Ace12GA
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Thanks , good post and speaks to the issue.. which is not about the gear or the guns .. but about the players.
Thanks, I only try to post when I actually have something constructive to say.

Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
From the standpoint of the players... due to the lower cost to entry.. many of the new players have less commitment to the community .. or its traditions and standards and regulations.. the demographic of the player population shifts to be Novice heavy ... more players are new and there is more turn over in this population as guns are cheap enough and available enough that people will try out the activity with little desire to really get into it. More seasonsed players find it frustrating to go to games and find 1/3 to 1/2 of players with less than a season experience. Lots are generous with their time.. and will help new players out... but in some cases the volume of new players outstrips the ability of vets to provide that guidance.
I agree totally, and its not the sort of thing that's going to change much. I think it will always be a problem at times. Your idea of a crash course is great, but isn't this the sort of thing fields and games should already be doing?

When I run a game I have a 5 to 10 minute safety lecture, and I spend another 5 to 10 minutes explaining rules. When there are new people I spend extra time with them and make sure they're on my team for the first couple of games so I can keep an eye on them. I play and act as ref during games, warning players, or even ejecting them. Granted I run games with 8 to 16 players, it still applies to larger games. I have had games where over half the players are new, and those days are more challenging, but its the same deal. I scare the safety into them, and brand the rules into them.

Someone else posted a story about guys acting up in a safe zone. To me, that is a failure of the ref's, staff, or game organizer; it is also a failure of other more experienced players not speaking up. When you run a game, weather its a business, or a private affair on a farm, you are taking responsibility over the safety of the players, and the enforcing of rules to maintain that safety. Its not hard, it doesn't take long, and it works in my experience. Yes, you still have to take an active interest in the new people during game play, and you probably still have to remind them of the rules from time to time, but it works. I think if you start branding people as newbs who have to take a course on the game of airsoft, you are just widening the gap between new player, and elite player. Airsoft is going mainstream, and its going to hurt after over a decade of being underground.

I'm speaking of only safety and game conduct here, not game play or tactics. Those latter are things you learn on your feet usually. Just to be clear.
Buy/Sell Rating
B+ 21 | S+ 10 | T+ 1