Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Newbie Tank (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   New to Airsoft and Can't Decide (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=76286)

Ryukishen February 7th, 2009 02:39

New to Airsoft and Can't Decide

I'm getting Age Verified (Or AV as people say it) by a week or so as I plan to visit Downtown Toronto sometime soon and people say it'll take about a week or 2 to update (sadly, I can't say I saw people on the Age Verification representative list that will meet around Scarborough).

So anyways, I'm starting out Airsofting and I've read rules and such. My question is "What would you recommend as a starter rifle?". I'm considering starting off with a TF16, or a Panther Arms DPMS A17 because I heard it can hit about 300fps with .2's although it says 272fps with .12's or possibly even a Stinger R34 because it's a starter rifle. However I decided to look up retailers and I bumped into Velocity Arms and am considering getting their GR16 V4 because the price isn't actually too bad (Considering there's free shipping and that the price is in CAD) and if I'm starting out, might as well start out with a great gun.

What's everyone else's thoughts on the guns and if none of the above, could you possibly recommend an interesting starter gun? Might get into project guns in the future if I ever get bored enough. :p

Erennert February 7th, 2009 02:43

The Kraken Ak-47 is a great starter gun, and please, don't even think about the Stinger R34, i had that gun along time ago, biggest pile of junk u will ever waste your money on. Krakens go for about 150$ i believe. Try checking out your nearest Cabelas Sporing Shop and check for one.

Dexst February 7th, 2009 02:52

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=58784

Ryukishen February 7th, 2009 02:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexst (Post 913908)

Thanks for the thread. Great recap for what I knew, and good for what I didn't. Great guide for picking out a gun, however I honestly don't know where I'm going with it so I have no idea what gun to start with :p. It's good to know what you're looking for and how that affects you, but in my case where you have no idea what you're looking for besides a gun that looks nice... Not that helpful, that and recommending a $300 starting gun might not sit so well with it being an MP5. Not that I have any problems with people that like MP5's or anything, but I was looking more into a rifle than a sub-machine gun.

EDIT: After reading it more carefully I picked out 1 important part. "Thus proving that first timers should avoid the M4 series AEGs." Yeowch!

Ktown Militia February 7th, 2009 03:10

can't go wrong with a tm g36c, tm ak-47 or kraken al-47, or an M4.
there are lots of reviews on this site on these guns, just give it a search.
cheers

Dexst February 7th, 2009 03:20

Honesty, if you have a high buget and you choose what you like, you cant go wrong.
I ended up spending 700 bucks on my first AEG for the simple fact that i liked it and i knew it was the best of the best.

Ktown Militia February 7th, 2009 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexst (Post 913918)
Honesty, if you have a high buget and you choose what you like, you cant go wrong.
I ended up spending 700 bucks on my first AEG for the simple fact that i liked it and i knew it was the best of the best.

+1, i shelled out 650 for my first aeg set up. but there are other alternatives for a smaller budget.
get AV'd then see whats on the classifieds here.

Erennert February 7th, 2009 03:24

Also depends on what your looking for. Best of the best, with the best gear, will of course cost a pretty penny. Although if your just looking for the basics, expect around 700-800$.

Dexst February 7th, 2009 03:30

also, factor in gear and a side arm. I picked up my TM sig for 250 and my VFC AK for 7xx, gears were 300ish. so over a grand right there. add in batterys and mags and BB's

Ryukishen February 7th, 2009 03:33

I already have a plan for Mags and BBs. I honestly don't want to spend over $100 on gear, but I have no idea how well that plan is going to go and I'd prefer not getting an AK47 simply because. It's most likely a great gun and all but I had a bad experience with AK-47 fan boys and sadly Counter-Strike.

EDIT: I considered getting a sidearm and really want to, however I doubt I'd be able to put forth the money at first unless it was say a sub $50 pistol, but those are utterly worthless from what I've heard so I'm probably going to have to make do without a sidearm.

Dexst February 7th, 2009 03:35

ok if not ak ak47, why not an ak74. Mines an AK74U

Tex February 7th, 2009 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryukishen (Post 913910)
EDIT: After reading it more carefully I picked out 1 important part. "Thus proving that first timers should avoid the M4 series AEGs." Yeowch!

If you like the M4, or any other AR there is no reason not to get one as a new player or a player who's been around for years. just do your homework and know what to expect ie; barrel wobble on some, V2+ cold = breakage, V2 + high FPS = breakage, ect.ect.

Ryukishen February 7th, 2009 03:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 913926)
If you like the M4, or any other AR there is no reason not to get one as a new player or a player who's been around for years. just do your homework and know what to expect ie; barrel wobble on some, V2+ cold = breakage, V2 + high FPS = breakage, ect.ect.

So far I've got no real reviews on the DPMS A17, other than "Oh, it's crap". I looked at BORDENSNIPER's Review of the TF16 and am thinking I'll probably get it unless there's any major objections although I'm curious how he managed to get a full black TF16 instead of one of the clear ones. BORDENSNIPER said it was a hybrid of a clearsoft and airsoft, however looking at pictures it looks pretty realistic to me.

Torque February 7th, 2009 04:13

a side arm isn't that important to have at the start. You really only need it if your aeg fires a high fps and you need something for closer ranges. For a clear gun you can alway paint it.

kalnaren February 7th, 2009 10:11

For your first AEG I'd recommend something that will take minimal maintanence and not likely be dead out of the box. That rules out anything made by Aftermath. For the cheap end, look at JG. If you have a good budget, look at TM or even CA. I paid $560 + tax for my first AEG, a Classic Army G36, and the thing is still going strong and I haven't replaced a single part of it.

Don't worry about a pistol. They're fun but definetly not necessary. And for gear, maybe more than $100. $100 will get you a good set of BDU's but not much else. A good tac vest is going to run you well over $100 itself.