Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   General (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bringing Airsoft to Canada En Masse (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=103299)

reducetomax April 30th, 2010 15:00

Bringing Airsoft to Canada En Masse

Hello,

We are a major distributor of Airsoft products in USA looking to expand to Canada. My understanding is that Airsoft was somewhat illegal and bringing Airsoft into Canada en masse was very difficult if not impossible.

However, there are a lot of Canadian retailers now, unlike 2 or 3 years ago. We want to supply these retailers and hopefully bring the prices down on Airsoft guns to reasonable levels (comparable to US prices).

I have read through the FAQ section, but threads are all dated a few years back. Has Canadian law and regulation regarding Airsoft changed for the better in recent years? There are also retailers selling full black versions which I thought would be a strict no-no.

If someone is kind enough to shed some light on current state of Airsoft in Canada or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

The Saint April 30th, 2010 15:11

No offence, but I'd say Canadians are better served by Canadian distributors. It's something of a matter of national pride, and keeping our dollars at home.

TraumaGuy April 30th, 2010 15:19

Perhaps some may share this view, and that's fine. We don't need to start a national debate on this as there are far too many similarities in our cultures. But, bringing QUALITY items (as long as they are quality items) into the Canadian market would certainly lower prices. Plus, there are some product lines you have access to in the US that we would never see here, at least not up until now.

The air is changing with Canadian airsoft vs. legality issues. Doors are opening and more product lines are becoming available. One of the full-time retailers here can definitely shed more light on this for you, and I'm sure they will.

Ciao!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saint (Post 1223722)
No offence, but I'd say Canadians are better served by Canadian distributors. It's something of a matter of national pride, and keeping our dollars at home.

KND April 30th, 2010 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by TraumaGuy (Post 1223726)
Perhaps some may share this view, and that's fine. We don't need to start a national debate on this as there are far too many similarities in our cultures. But, bringing QUALITY items (as long as they are quality items) into the Canadian market would certainly lower prices. Plus, there are some product lines you have access to in the US that we would never see here, at least not up until now.

The air is changing with Canadian airsoft vs. legality issues. Doors are opening and more product lines are becoming available. One of the full-time retailers here can definitely shed more light on this for you, and I'm sure they will.

Ciao!

Tell me what is the product line that we can never seen in Canada ?

TechSeller April 30th, 2010 15:47

LOL .. I am pretty certain the Saint is up to speed on the current status of Airsoft in Canada.

Conker April 30th, 2010 15:53

Quote:

No offence, but I'd say Canadians are better served by Canadian distributors.

Oh.... because CAS serves canadian well with their shitty product lines at outrageous prices?

And while the Mach1/Safesoft initiative is great on paper, pretty much all the resellers are out of stock (and have been for some time), and Mach1 takes often more than a week to answer simple questions by email...

Sorry, but I can't really call that being "well served".

For customers, a bit of competition can't hurt either anyways.

Quote:

It's something of a matter of national pride, and keeping our dollars at home.

If the pricepoint is close, I'd rather buy from a Canadian company. Same thing if it's a canadian-based company (ex: I'll choose Airsoft Innovations anytime over Madbull) or if there's a significant advantage (ex: good warranty).

But if I can get the same thing cheaper with an equivalent service, I won't have any remorse buying overseas.

Aegiis April 30th, 2010 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechSeller (Post 1223737)
LOL .. I am pretty certain the Saint is up to speed on the current status of Airsoft in Canada.

And I'm pretty certain he does not want competition if he can avoid it.

And Canada will be better served by honest, competent, professionnal distributors, regardless of origin. We have had our share of canadian crooks.

The Saint April 30th, 2010 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conker (Post 1223740)
Oh.... because CAS serves canadian well with their shitty product lines at outrageous prices?

What makes you think a foreign company with even less stake in a sustainable Canadian market/community would do better?

There are currently 5 Canadian distributors, basically all with close ties to manufacturers, representing 12 brands. This is the basis of a solid Canadian-oriented airsoft industry. You can invest in the Canadian industry and watch it improve, or you can give into the instant gratification that seems so popular these days and buy US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegiis (Post 1223745)
And I'm pretty certain he does not want American competition if he can avoid it.

Fixed. ;)

Danke April 30th, 2010 16:02

I do not think "competition" will ever be an issue in Canada.

I do think that the current setup in Canada (and in any other country also) has the regulations easier to navigate through if you are inside the borders importing vs. outside.

Disco_Dante April 30th, 2010 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saint (Post 1223749)
What makes you think a foreign company with even less stake in a sustainable Canadian market/community would do better?

Off the top of my head I can list five foreign airsoft retailers I've done business with who have no stake in the Canadian market/community who do a better job than some of our Canadian retailers.

The Saint April 30th, 2010 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disco_Dante (Post 1223751)
Off the top of my head I can list five foreign airsoft retailers I've done business with who have no stake in the Canadian market/community who do a better job than some of our Canadian retailers.

This is about distributors, not retailers.

pancakedestroyer April 30th, 2010 16:07

I'm inclined to agree that more competition is a good thing.

Conker April 30th, 2010 16:10

Quote:

Quote:

And Canada will be better served by honest, competent, professionnal distributors, regardless of origin. We have had our share of canadian crooks.

I'm not saying they will. I'm just saying that there is a possibility.
Aegiis said it pretty well.

Quote:

And I'm pretty certain he does not want competition if he can avoid it.

That too.

Quote:

There are currently 5 Canadian distributors, basically all with close ties to manufacturers, representing 12 brands. This is the basis of a solid Canadian-oriented airsoft industry. You can invest in the Canadian industry and watch it improve, or you can give into the instant gratification that seems so popular these days and buy US.

Yes, and most of these brands are quite good. Well, G&G is good, but CAS has had subpar guns made for them...
The problem with our distributors? They all have monopoly on each manufacturer they represent, and none has really set aggressive prices. Yes, I understand the basics of running a business, ie covering the expenses and having profit.

The Saint April 30th, 2010 16:16

I'll freely admit the idea of American competition is an unappealing concept, but that's true for any industry. They have a population of 300 million, we have a population of 34 million. All else being equal, it's always harder for Canadian distributor to compete with their American counterparts.

I say if you are unsatisfied with the performance of Canadian distributors, let competition from other Canadian distributors present and future be the force for change. There are bad Canadian businesses, but there are also GOOD Canadian businesses keeping them in check. Why be in a hurry to welcome in the Americans, when they will just bring in the same mix?

Thenooblord April 30th, 2010 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by reducetomax (Post 1223713)
Hello,

We are a major distributor of Airsoft products in USA looking to expand to Canada. My understanding is that Airsoft was somewhat illegal and bringing Airsoft into Canada en masse was very difficult if not impossible.

However, there are a lot of Canadian retailers now, unlike 2 or 3 years ago. We want to supply these retailers and hopefully bring the prices down on Airsoft guns to reasonable levels (comparable to US prices).

I have read through the FAQ section, but threads are all dated a few years back. Has Canadian law and regulation regarding Airsoft changed for the better in recent years? There are also retailers selling full black versions which I thought would be a strict no-no.

If someone is kind enough to shed some light on current state of Airsoft in Canada or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

If he can get better prices than the current crooks that monopolize canadian airsoft retail, I wouldn't ever give a second thought to country of origin, Id rather get a good deal from a foreign retailer than gouged by a canadian one on the premise of supporting canadian businesses