Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   General (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Upcoming Sniper Training in Ontario? (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=150861)

Reaver_RRTS February 13th, 2013 16:06

Upcoming Sniper Training in Ontario?

Just wondering, is there anyone doing sniper training in Ontario (london/ingersoll/woodstock area) to get me certified in at least Level One? I know basics and have done quite a bit of research, however I think I need certification regardless, correct? I believe DarkAngel was the last to do this? Not sure if there's anyone available or not…

I've got a G&G G96 if that gives anyone any idea what I'm up against lol

Hectic February 13th, 2013 16:15

everyone counts as lvl1 no training needed.
your good for up to 450 fps (unless field or host says otherwise)

im sure there wilo be a lvl2/3 course comming eventually and yes i belive Dark angle will be the instructor unless Sha Do comes out of the woodwork to do one.
im waiting too so i can do my lvl3 training, seems a few folks besides us have been asking so the more intrest that is shown the more likely there will be one.

Hectic February 13th, 2013 16:17

what have you got done to your rifle so far l, why do you think you "need" training? Are you having issues playing/ hitting targets?

Reaver_RRTS February 13th, 2013 16:28

truth be told, this is my first sniper rifle and I've had it for about a month, initially i had a M14 SOCOM aeg with a custom milled rail to allow optic attachment. When i did my first test shoot I forgot that the hop-up needed adjustment, wherein i discovered my first problem - I can't see the bb to track its flight… So i can't figure out where to adjust to compensate. I was firing .25 green bbs indoor (probably why I couldn't see them) but I don't have an area I can just take the rifle to and spend a few hours tinkering with it. Past the hop-up, zeroing isn't difficult, I've zeroed my scopes before and i'm not concerned about that.

Other than that, I'd like distance training to gauge range prior to taking a shot, and I've done a lot of research about mil-dot calculations etc. That much is pretty much practice.

leth1337 February 13th, 2013 16:41

there should be a sniper clinic in the spring sometime. just keep an eye on the ontario games forum. there'll likely be someone there who can age verify you as well :)

Reaver_RRTS February 13th, 2013 16:45

Hoping to be verified in the next week, basically my next trip to Woodstock. But i'll keep my eye out. Meantime I'll see what I can do with the G96. Thanks guys.

Hectic February 13th, 2013 17:12

ya white bb's are a lil better to see how they fly but most weights in white are gonna be too light for 450+fps youll prolly wanna use .36 or .40 u can zero your scope if you have enough range, if you dont have much range you can still zero it and itll be close for when you get outdoors. Grab some .36 or .40 bbs they will be green or tan and set your scope up at the longest range you have available.
when you get out to a game you can fine tune yer scope and hop up.
i have the same issue, i only have about 50 feet to use to adjust stuff so all the final tune after part swaps and such. What green bbs are you usein .36? If so you can try some .30 you should be able to see em better put just a lil over hop on em and youll be prety close on the .36's.
aside from that there is always fine tuning to be done in the field, temprature really effects hop up, some rubbers more then others but when its cold in most cases the gun will shoot like crap when its moderate itll shoot fine and when really hot itll over hop like crazy, its an everchanging setting on your gun, especially at higer powers and with heavyer ammo. As for scope depending on yer gun is how youll zero it, with mine i got range to about 300ft or so. I set the zero at 200 ft, so closer i aim a lil lowwer further a lil higher, a range estimateing or midot scope works well for compensating for ranges. (i personnaly just use a straight cross hair but some cant swing that.
as for range estimation. Get a friend or familly member to stand at certian ranges from you say 100ft 200ft and 300ft and look at them through your scope ( use it as you would shoot say 3x or 4x or whatever you min zoom is, you dont need more then that for airsoft Then just memorize how a normal/average sized person looks through your scope(mainly how wide there shoulders are thats how youll be able to judge range on folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaver_RRTS (Post 1760368)
truth be told, this is my first sniper rifle and I've had it for about a month, initially i had a M14 SOCOM aeg with a custom milled rail to allow optic attachment. When i did my first test shoot I forgot that the hop-up needed adjustment, wherein i discovered my first problem - I can't see the bb to track its flight… So i can't figure out where to adjust to compensate. I was firing .25 green bbs indoor (probably why I couldn't see them) but I don't have an area I can just take the rifle to and spend a few hours tinkering with it. Past the hop-up, zeroing isn't difficult, I've zeroed my scopes before and i'm not concerned about that.

Other than that, I'd like distance training to gauge range prior to taking a shot, and I've done a lot of research about mil-dot calculations etc. That much is pretty much practice.

leth1337 February 13th, 2013 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaver_RRTS (Post 1760368)

in bold are the only 3 problems you have :P indoors can't be helped at this point so lets look at the ammo. personally i've never seen .25g green bbs unless you mean tracer rounds which i doubt. madbull or bbbastard .36g (they come in green) or .40g (tan/yellow/rays of sunshine) are what you're looking for. i used .30g white bbs in my well l96 (clone.. so what..) and it was a lazerbeam but didnt have the range i was looking for. put in a pdi hop-up chamber, prometheus 450fps+ rubber and a madbull python v2 509mm x 6.03mm tightbore inner barrel and i was rocking .36g bbs with further range.. until i over-compressed my spring.

now i've got a 400fps spring, same hop-up and rubber but .36g bbs were falling short on max hop setting. i took it apart, put in a bigger nub. now on minimal settings its over hopping .36g bbs and i've had to buy .40g and retuned it. back to stock lazerbeam setting but with crazy range (haven't been able to test it yet.. sunday can't get here soon enough).

like hectic said, it's an ever changing configuration especially if you screw something up like i did :) but GOD is it fun to tinker :cool:

Reaver_RRTS February 13th, 2013 18:25

Lol I agree Leth, I tinker all the time with my paintball markers… and sometimes with my PX4 and MP5, and my teammate's AK that he picked up and left in my care for 'safe keeping' XD anyway, since I'm new to airsoft I'm not sure what upgrades to get for markers like the G96, but if I an get some help from you guys for what parts to get to make my sniper the best it can be, then I just have to work on the best I can be ;) lol I'll be keeping that in mind as I play. I've been making a journal log of my play progress, my eliminations vs being eliminated, tactical information I pick up during play (ie first time sniping with the M14 I chose to use a tower and quickly discovered that people look there first for enemies lol so I know now to keep low to the ground where it's harder to detect your presence) as well as a map of the field where I mark common pathways used by players and optimal ambush points.

Hectic February 13th, 2013 18:52

lol towwers also offer no line of escape lol.

as for upgrades you can go Laylax PSS (perfect sniping system) those are my choice of upgrades.
Or you can choose PDI uogrades.
im sure folks are prety much split down the middle on what ones are best, its more of a preference/availability thing.
baisicly ill tell you what i did to my VSR10 you will baisicly want to do the sake thing for all bolt actions anyhow.
i got a pss air seal chamber (hop up unit) i also changed the rubber i think mine is a madbull one and i added a nub i made out of an oring to the hop arm as the setup doesnt use a nub butbi needed more hop for .40 and .43 bbs
pss piston (and i changed the oring to a slightly thicker and larger oring for beter airseal as i have acsess to tonnes of orings)
pss teflon cylender (you can likely make do with the stock one but the teflon one will improve consistancy cause its nice n smooth for the piston to slide through)
i use the stock spring guide and cylender head ill be replacing the spring guide with a bearing one for smoother cocking and more consistant compression cycles when my new rifle comes(thebold rifle is a crappy clone so a better rifle namely a jg/echo 1 to replace my tsd is the only way to increase my consistancy now.
i put a tightbore in it, i think its an edgi or prometheus 6.02
also i made custom barrel spacers out of tape to keep the barrel stable in the outter barrel.
and replaced tue first and seccond sear with deepfire stainless sears cause those will werout or break on you prety fast.
unless its the gas version then i dont know much about upgrading those but gas is a pain to make consistant without an external setup, but thats a whole lot of work

Reaver_RRTS February 13th, 2013 21:24

Oh? Okay, well heck if I can upgrade my G96 to be top line, then I'm going to make a list of what to get… although, being new to this stuff what is the "rubber" you're referring to on the hop-up?

-PDI Hop-up chamber
-Prometheus "rubber"?
-madbull python v2 509mm x 6.03mm tightbore
-400fps spring?
-some kind of nub lol

Hectic February 13th, 2013 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaver_RRTS (Post 1760479)
Oh? Okay, well heck if I can upgrade my G96 to be top line, then I'm going to make a list of what to get… although, being new to this stuff what is the "rubber" you're referring to on the hop-up?

-PDI Hop-up chamber
-Prometheus "rubber"?
-madbull python v2 509mm x 6.03mm tightbore
-400fps spring?
-some kind of nub lol

ya the hop up rubber lol
and as for the nub it depends, the l96 may alrdy have a nub ive never torn one down yet, so see how it shoots heavyer rounds and if itbdoesnt have enough hop then youll need to put a nub in it.
the stock spring is probably 400+ alrdy no?
you wont wanna go over 450 (but youll wanna get as close as you can) till you get yer certification for lvl2 500fps
and im not sure what the piston looks like in the l96 but if its plastic/polymer youll wanna change that too itll wear out fast and cause slam firing (where you cock it and the bolt sticks then you try to push it forward and the piston slips off the sear and slams the whole bot assembly forward)
im not sure how the madbull barrels are, im sure there decent but youd be better off with a high end barrel (prbably the seccond or third most expensive part in your gun) either prometheus, EdGi or if pdi makes one im sure its decent as well.
two you can find easy for EdGi they no longer have a website or a us distributor but if you look him up on facebook and send him a msg about what you want he can tell you a price. The VSR barrel is around 100 bucks and ships from the phillipeans so not cheap but they are argueably the best that money can buy, you can choose exactly the length you want so if you have a few more mm to squeeze in you can get the barrel cut longer and as far as i recall they offer bores from 6.04-6.01 and at some point the offered down to 5.98 but those arent somethin youd want, id stick with 6.01-6.03 till you get a feel for sniping and work out what bb's work best for you and such.
The madbull percision bbs are okay for a 5.98 because they are 5.95 ± .01mm but youlo still get jams and such even in a 6.01 if you dont clean it regularly.

Hectic February 13th, 2013 21:58

and youll need a pdi 9mm spring guide and a Pdi 13mm spring to work with it, the l96 140 spring is around 450 fps on a full upgrade (hop up cylender piston and a 500mmx6.01 tightbore) so youll be close to but will likely not be over no matter what upgrades you put in.

leth1337 February 13th, 2013 22:16

the 400fps spring was an aftermarket spring that i picked up. the stock spring is about 450fps which should be fine. the pdi hop up chamber comes with a nub but for my setup i found it wasn't enough and i required a bigger one which i cut a piece of o-ring about the same length as the stock nub and added 2-3 small strips of duct tape about the width of the adjustment arms and stuck it to the arms in the little slot which is supposed to contact the nub.

what this does is push the rubber into the barrel with less adjustment required. i'd only recommend this with .36g+ bbs.

as far as slam firing i've never experienced it in my l96 in 3 years of use. my vsr slam fired within 3-4 games so i had to replace the sears in it and i sold it shortly after. the sears on the l96 platform seem to hold up better than the vsr platform OR the setup in the l96 is way less stressful.

from what i've read 6.01 barrels don't really provide better accuracy over a 6.03 just higher fps and i could be wrong about that. its all just practice and seeing what parts work well for the performance/price point you're trying to achieve.

Hectic February 13th, 2013 22:26

agreed not a huge diff from 6.01-6.03 all "tight bores" are a big improvement over the stock barrels that range from 6.06-6.09 save for a few guns that come with 6.04 stock.
does the l96 have a metal piston?
when my vsr frist slam fired i thought it was sears i replaced them and cleaned everything while i had the gun apart after reassembly it fired a mag or two and slamed agian, turns out it was the piston but in reasembly the sear cought on a non worn out part on the piston, every time it slamed i could rotate the piston amd get a mag or two out of it till ot slaed again, did this about a half dozen times till i replaced the piston, the stock sears wer fine they likely wouldda worn out eventually but the piston was the weakest link i know its a common issue in vsr's but regardless the pdi and laylax pistons are a much better design then the stock ones, they seal better and last long and slide more freely with those two plastic rings they have whitch creates beter shot to shot consistancy.