Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   General (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   China made stuff a concern here? (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=72253)

HeadlessChicken December 6th, 2008 23:50

China made stuff a concern here?

Call me strange but sometimes the weirdest ideas and questions just seem to pop in my mind and sometimes stay there unless answered...all while not under the influence of any substance btw, I sear!

I'm sure most of us, if not all of us, are made aware of the concerns over all those products coming out of China containing toxic chemicals that causes cancer, sterility, just about everything under the medical sun. Everything from food to toys has been scrutinized publicly over the news. Has anyone thought to look at airsoft stuff?

Not to light a flame on a sport thats already coming under fire from all kinds of sources and I don't mean to honestly. But would or should we be concerned as much as my next door neighbor who has a 3 year old kid with several China copies of the Transformers? Just about everything I have, I think, is China made and I'd like to see some little Headless Chickens running around me some day. Though I don't think I'll be stuffing a holster in my mouth taking in that melamine. Or is getting struck by lightening more of a concern to me?

Amos December 6th, 2008 23:54

Well, I've heard the resin that Sykes uses for their masks is an industrial grade that causes extreme skin irritation. So.. If you get one, make sure you wash it to A; Get all the resin dust off, then put some sort of padding or something like that so it's not against your skin.

Personally, I wear gloves while handling Dboys guns, lol.

arcanuck December 7th, 2008 00:10

It's a new form of terrorism IMHO

jesster202 December 7th, 2008 00:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos (Post 875192)
Personally, I wear gloves while handling Dboys guns, lol.

i think thats a bit exessive were i use to work we used chemicals on stuff we produced and u wore golves for that but for a treated metal that may? thats a may contain lead you use gloves lol that is a bit exsessive lol

Amos December 7th, 2008 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesster202 (Post 875210)
i think thats a bit exessive were i use to work we used chemicals on stuff we produced and u wore golves for that but for a treated metal that may? thats a may contain lead you use gloves lol that is a bit exsessive lol

I'm just making fun of Dboy's stuff lol

Everyone should know that I know better not to touch that crap!

Drake December 7th, 2008 01:06

Wait'll we get Chinese cloned 5W Saber UHF radios that occasionally broadcast "Islam is the light" all on their own :P

Other than that... the concern is minimal for me. I mean, don't put it on your mouth or anything. I do take extra precautions (dust mask/filter) when working on Chinese bodies (Dremeling, sanding, etc) since lead is one of the metals that may be used in white metal alloys, and I wouldn't be surprised to find it in any low cost white metal part (Chinese or not).

I remember a video card I bought once, with made-in-China wiring, that had a warning sticker on the bag stating the plastic used could contain some not-so-good-for-you chemicals and to wash your hands after handling them.

OTOH, we hear a lot about all sorts of stuff now, which may be possible carcinogens or whatnot. But I have a hard time believing occasional incidental contact with the stuff would lead to any sort of major health issues. I mean, people use to EAT with utensils made of lead-based alloys, and kids use to play with lead toys (like toy soldiers, up into the first half of the 20th century).

No it isn't good for you, but it isn't plutonium either; worrying too much about this stuff will cause you more problems in the long run, in the form of ulcers, chronic anxiety and high blood pressure.

Amos December 7th, 2008 01:25

But my AEG's are tasty :(

Lisa December 7th, 2008 03:01

Don't put it in your mouth... I think there's a kids song like that.

Bowers December 7th, 2008 03:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa (Post 875277)

you are correct!

YouTube - Don't you put it in your mouth.

ahh the fond memories of childhood:D

ILLusion December 7th, 2008 05:47

There's a hip hop song like that as well.. something along the lines of "Put It In Your Mouth"... oh wait, I think that's... nevermind.

Dracheous December 7th, 2008 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa (Post 875277)

So many potential strippers lost due to that song... -.-...

ahahhahhahahah had too...

There are so many products that people buy EVERY day that have chemicals in them at on their own are highly toxic. Look at pressure-treated lumber, it has arsenic in it, yet you'll build an entire back-yard of it and throw the dog out back with the kids as well with out even considering it. Its funny how many people buy it to build their garden barriers with it and don't wash the lumber or let it dry for a season to get the arsenic out; then wonder why their plants are all dying. Better to stick to rail-road ties for those projects or stone.

HeadlessChicken December 7th, 2008 07:34

Well like I said, sometimes the weirdest stuff pops in my head. For instance while on a private beach on a cruise last year next to this gorgeous girl, for some reason, I got this great idea of how I should propose...keep in mind, I don't even have a freaking girlfriend let alone someone to propose to!

BTW, I'm keeping that idea to myself.

Drake December 7th, 2008 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadlessChicken (Post 875324)
Well like I said, sometimes the weirdest stuff pops in my head. For instance while on a private beach on a cruise last year next to this gorgeous girl, for some reason, I got this great idea of how I should propose...keep in mind, I don't even have a freaking girlfriend let alone someone to propose to!

BTW, I'm keeping that idea to myself.

Did it involve anything with the phrase "Put it in your mouth" ? :D

(yes, that IS why I'm single)

Dracheous December 7th, 2008 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 875325)
(yes, that IS why I'm single)

No its not, but you broke every camera when we tried to get a mug to prove it to the rest of Canada! ;) hahahaha.

Why do I has the idea now that his idea was something to do with having the ring tied to his dick so when she goes down on him he gets to "pop" the question... or maybe he just wants to be REALLY "cheap" and give her a pearl necklace instead of a ring.

L473ncy December 7th, 2008 10:15

Are you sure you're not inhaling second hand??? Kinda like a mini "hot boxing" so to say?

Weird ideas pop into my head sometimes like this would be a crazy place to play airsoft but we all experience that.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Heck when the BPA nalgene thing came out in the media I was like whatever I'll continue to use it. Not like it's gonna kill me when I'm 30.

Too many people worry about the smallest things giving you cancer or whatnot. Really I'd rather live life knowing that I died of something rather than sitting in a hospital bed not knowing what I'm dying of except old age.